Sunday, October 31, 2010

Digital Writing Impacts Kean University's Blog

Good digital writing has a big impact on [me] as a # Kean University Marketing Student.

If the writing is not done well with an eye catching title, [I won't] be engaged to either read the company’s blog or website, etc.

As I searched for a blog to look at, I came across TMP Meshworking: Tap Into NXT GEN Thinking.

This is a blog is for the recruitment industry, mostly human resources departments in helping them market their companies to recruit individuals to work in their companies.

This blog has many categories of interest depending on what you are looking for and have employees from TMP Worldwide who give their expertise on the different categories.

The blog post “Firing A Leader” by Katie Newland caught my attention because of the title [link to the posting].

I felt this was a different type of topic to be blogging about, so I decided to read it.

Because the title caught my attention and was done well, I felt the content in the blog would be appealing to read. And it was.

Reading through the blog I found it very interesting and it had a lot of good points [including what]. I also felt that the blog had:

  • A story behind each sub-headline and could stand on its own.
  • Sub-headlines help break up the information. It kept the information easier to read and you knew what the next section was going to be about before you started to read it and you did not get lost.
  • Direct and consistent language.

Reading through this blog, I can see how important it is for good digital writing and to follow the rules.

[A company wants to make sure they engage consumers like me the] right away and keep my attention. [I] do not have a lot of time to waste.

[A lot of times, I] will scan blogs or articles to see what catches my attention. If the title is catchy then I will read the blog or article.

I am just starting to get myself interested in writing and reading blogs.

Before this class I did not know anything about blogs, very little about social media, and nothing about digital writing.

Because of this I find it hard to really give my opinion on what this blog should do differently, but will try.

I thought with this article the sub headings help so that [I] would know what they were reading next.

According to digital writing rules, the paragraphs were too long.

The title I thought was catchy and caught my eye. Also some of the paragraphs could have been done in a bullet format to break up some of the content.

I did not get lost in the article, but did feel it was a little long, but still read through the whole blog and found the information to be interesting and useful.

Here are the details on the blog and company:
TMP Meshworking: Tap Into NXT GEN Thinking
TMP Worldwide

Donna Foerst
11/1/10

3 comments:

  1. Donna,
    Very thoughtful blog post.

    My 1 comment to you is make it personal! I went through and changed all of the "consumers" to "I's" or "me's." That way, you can see how much richer the story is when you tell it in first person.

    I also shortened some of your paragraphed and bolded some sentences, bulleted some points and created a few sub-heads.

    Take a look and let me know what you think.

    Thanks,
    Perri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for showing me the areas in my post that needed improvement. This is very helpful. In my writing I was always told not to use "I" a lot in writing, but I see you say it is fine to use when blogging. I will keep this in mind for my future writings along with the use of subheads. Thank you again for the help.

    I also revised the post from last week too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I change the heading on my post.

    Thanks
    Donna Foerst

    ReplyDelete