Monday, September 27, 2010

Who knew you could do all that in just 140 characters!

I have been on twitter for about a year now. The only reason I signed up was to obtain current news in the industry that I am studying. As an Industrial Design Student at Kean University, having the most current news about products, what certain firms are doing, and what new tools are out there for Industrial Designers to use plays a good part in knowing your field.

I have to admit that I have not been following my tweets as much, but after this class I have a new found appreciation for this particular form of social media.

Twitter helped me find a bunch of new design firms I never knew existed, learn names of current cutting edge designers and also get really cool updates on museum events, new design principals, and even new materials!

Back to Tweeting,

Kelly Duncan
#Kean University Social Media Marketing Class

3 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    Thank you for your posting. Nice job.

    What design firms are you following on Twitter? Naming them and their Twitter ID in our blog makes them more searchable. And you are giving them some promotion.

    You may want to do the same with your Twitter ID so that your colleagues can follow you. What are you tweeting about?

    I also find Twitter hard to keep up with. Other than me encouraging you to do so, what will incentivize you to stay on top of it?

    One final thought: Your sentence "Who Knew You Could Do All That In Just 140 Characters" would make a really compelling headline.

    It summarizes your entry well and it's very compelling. Don't forget to capitalize the first letters of each word in the headline.

    I would suggest making the change.

    Perri

    PS: My twitter ID is pjkrichman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Professor,

    I Dont typically post tweets, Im only on twitter specifically to follow current industry news. I like to follow core77, they are a HUGE outlet for design news. Fast Company for product updates and Spenser Nugent for sketching techniques.

    I am not sure if getting a following is something for me...

    I would like to know some thoughts on this: Twitter following for news Vs Twitter following to be followed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelly.

    You aren't going to be in class tonight, right? It would be a good discussion for then because we are discussing social media as part of the marketing mix.

    My point of view: participation means more than speaking. Following staying active = participation.

    As long as you know your objectives - e.g., I need to identify trends and issues that are important to industrial design so that I can be relevant when going on job interviews.

    vs.

    I need to stay active in the discussion around industrial design trends and issues so that a potential employer finds me.

    If reading and following meets your objectives, then you are in good shape. If your objectives are different, then perhaps a change in approach is necessary.

    My two cents.
    Perri

    ReplyDelete