Monday, September 27, 2010

Facebook

Sign Up

My first blog for Kean University Marketing course is my experience of Facebook sign up.

For years I had heard about Facebook but never investigated its use or relevance to my life. My first reaction to this social network:

Who has time to fiddle around with this silly thing?

Most of us we struggle between work and home everyday…Not to mention those busily engaged in taking classes in the evening with Kean University and other.

My friends and family members assured me that using the site addictive! Still I thought:

Who has time for this silly thing?

Then I created a Facebook account for my class. After professor showed me how to chat and invite your friends; I “playing” with the site for a few days and I found it is true addiction.

I want to thank Dr. Ahlawat for suggested me to take Kean University Marketing for Social Media. Facebook gives us the opportunity to catch up with people we may not see but once every few years.

I love playing with this silly thing!

With Facebook everything seems so easy and quick. As soon as I signed up:
  • I saw many of my friends registered on Facebook”.
  • I requested a personal invitation from them to appear on my “home page.”
  • Once they accept me as a friend, we can share each other’s list of “buddies” and I have a bank of new friends.

I learned Facebook is an interactive way to keep in touch with people you know both current friends and people you knew in your childhood. You can upload pictures of yourself, so would be easy recognized by your friends.

Words of warning: When you fill out your profile information be careful of how much you divulge.

Start Search:

My first search was my daughter, but I didn’t find her. Then I started to search for any family or friends that already had an account. Search box is located on the top of the following pages:

  • Home
  • Profile
  • Find Friends
  • Account

Email Address List

The quick way to do you search is to import your email list. On profile page there is a find "Friends" option on the top. Click on that: It will give an option "invite friends." Just follow the steps and Facebook will find your friends on your email list. It can also find your high school friends. Just type the school and the year you graduated.

Networking

Facebook has an avalanche effect. You will be amazed at how one friend will lead you to hundreds. Some of them can be common friends. I heard of someone who actually found a lost sister who had been absent from her life for years. You can set up a reunion with your old classmates, create vacation plans, etc, etc, etc…

Multifunction

Facebook, like many social media, not only can find friends for you, it can build up a network of people to benefit your business as well.

What Facebook can do for us:

  • Invite someone in
  • Find friends
  • Leave messages
  • Chat with friends
  • Set up events for you and your friends
  • Link to other sites
  • Upload photo and video
  • Play games
  • Share pictures and video with your friends and family members
  • Create "albums” of your own and view your friends’
  • Advertise to promote your business

I am sure I will appreciate Facebook once I really get to know all the features. So far, I am very excited thinking about how some of my friends may look today as compared to years ago. I hope I will find time to further explore this powerful social media format.

LI Ching Jung


3 comments:

  1. Li Ching,

    Wow! This is a great description of your Facebook experience. You seem like a professional.

    What is the reason that you call Facebook silly? What is causing you to feel that way?

    What is the reason that you want to be careful with what you divulge?

    A couple of formatting things:

    1. Great short paragraphs and lists. Well done.
    2. Headline: I know that you can come up with something more compelling than Facebook!
    3. Watch your Font size. For some reason, it was at 15 points. Hmm.

    Well done, again!
    Perri

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I used to think Facebook is silly because I don't believe anyone would have time for it.

    2. For some reason the Font size change after I post it .

    Thank you for your speedy comment and encourage words.

    Li Ching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Li Ching,

    Do you still think FB is silly after your experience?

    Perri

    ReplyDelete