Thursday, September 16, 2010

Assignment 1

Hello Class, so I'm the first post.....greaaat!Well I think that blogging should be a part of our class because it's a form a socializing. Blogging with others should be interesting. It will be helpful to read the views, ideas and opinions of others, as I'm sure they will be all different. I also think it's important to blog because it helps build writing skills and helps us to better put together our thoughts and feelings on paper, or on the internet in this case. For me, I find that I am a much better communicator when I write. I can think slower, gather my thoughts, write, erase, write, and I actually make more sense (I think) . Also, I feel that blogging is a great way to communicate with real people with real life experiences. I think it's being able to relate that interests me the most. What I hope to gain from contributing is becoming a better writer, building my communication skills and most importantly reading what others have to say, plus feedback. Since blogging is so popular, maybe it's something I can continue to use in some form throughout my life and career.
Im my opinion I feel that businesses are mostly living up to the expectations for social media today. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see another company or organization displaying their link to a social network such as Facebook and Twitter. I knew it was serious when the morning news says you can find this story on our FB page or follow us on Twitter. Retailers and manufacturers are connected with the social media in everyway they can from advertising, to print ads, to direct mail, special events, also noting their links to a popular social network. Now, what I don't know is if all of the extra social network connection is actually working for them. I mean how many people choose FB or Twitter to access a news channel? I'm not sure but for me, I'd rather go to their website, watch it or pick up a newspaper. However, I could be part of a very small percentage of people that doesn't use the social site.Overall, I think business are utilizing social media just don't know how successful it really is for them.
Cynthia Rodriguez

5 comments:

  1. Cynthia, thanks for being the first blog post. Your commentary about the morning news connecting with Facebook and Twitter is interesting. What do you think they are trying to accomplish with that?

    Two points on the writing:
    1. Think about your headline ~ and in the future, consider making it more catching. From a marketing perspective, the goal is to attract people to your post.

    2. You want to make your blog posts visually pleasant and easy to read. Consider shorter paragraphs. 1-2 sentences per paragraph.

    Nice job and thank you.

    Perri Richman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, it is funny that you mention the morning news. The other day I noticed that one of the news stations had a facebook page. I was so shocked and amazed as I thought facebook was mostly a social site for individuals. I guess times are changing.

    Professor,

    I think the morning news are trying to grasp the attention of the viewers, so that the viewers would connect to their site regularly to obtain information about what is going on in the world quicker rather than waiting for the ten o'clock news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,

    Thank you for checking in on your blog entry and for "chatting" with me.

    Note: you do not need to copy and paste the original paragraph in your comment. Just state your point, which you did very well.

    It is evident that you understand the importance of staying connected with your readers. And responding back quickly.

    I'll be asking questions about how often everyone checked in and how many students actually responded."

    Please do share your experiences in class tomorrow night.

    I also like your assessment of the morning news and the reason that they using social media. Traditional broadcast media needs to stay relevant in order to keep their viewers.

    Thank you,
    Perri

    PS: Please call me, Perri. You did not need to call me Professor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Perri- I don't know what's happening but the message that addressed you as "professor" wasn't me.

    So to answer your question, I think the news programs on TV are trying to let their viewers know that they are keeping up with the changes of communication, they are looking to accomplish keeping their viewers by doing so and also to reach out to a ton of people via FB and Twitter that maybe don't have time to watch the news but can access it online.

    Cynthia Rodriguez

    ReplyDelete